Here, we have another one of my recommendation lists, this time of anime movies and OVAs. Again, there is a wide variety of movies and OVAs, which are in an entirely different class, with longer duration, very short durations, better quality, or better animation. So, have a look at these amazing movies and OVAs!
- 5 Centimeters Per Second (My all-time top favorite movie! Shinkai Makoto is a godly director, and this movie is stunningly beautiful and poetic. Highly recommended!)
- Black Lagoon: Roberta’s Blood Trail (An OVA series expanding from the anime series, Black Lagoon. Highly ethical and moral themes here, plus some great gun-toting action!)
- Kara no Kyoukai (From famed TYPE-MOON, this 7 part movie series is a great mystery supernatural series with strong storytelling plus strong visuals.)
- Kiki’s Delivery Service (A movie about a young witch starting out in the real world for the first time, and of her growth. One of my top favorite childhood movies!)
- My Neighbor Totoro (A Studio Ghibli movie. This was one of the very first anime movies that I remember watching at a very young age, and I still enjoy it even now!)
- REDLINE (A wild, adrenaline-pumping, scintillating, beautiful, bold movie! Highly recommended for just pure entertainment!)
- She and Her Cat (A short OVA from Shinkai Makoto once again. This black-and-white tale of a cat’s thoughts and emotions is just a cute, sweet short story.)
- Spirited Away (A great Studio Ghibli movie exploring the Japanese supernatural culture and Chihiro’s journey to survive in a hot springs inn and to rescue her parents.)
- Summer Wars (A very enjoyable family movie about a boy who meets his crush’s family and a virus threatening to take over the virtual world, Oz.)
- The Place Promised in Our Early Days (A movie from Shinkai Makoto. A very intriguing story about three old friends now in the midst of a Cold War-like era, with a mysterious tower built by the Soviet Union…)
- The Sky Crawlers (A WWII-like era movie. Very thought-provoking drama and war, and some nice high-flying action scenes!)
- Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (A movie focusing on the romance and drama between three friends, and a time-leaping phenomenon. Highly recommended!)
- Voices of a Distant Star (Another famous OVA by Shinkai Makoto as well. A great sci-fi tale of a bittersweet long-distance relationship across space and time.)
I may update this list once in a while to reflect the number of movie and OVAs that I have seen up to now, so check by for any new recommendations!